Is your QuickBooks unable to back up company file?. Well if your answer is yes then you do not have to worry. Today we will talk about some basic and valuable solutions to this error. The moment you start backing up your company file data, you may see either of the following two error messages:
- QuickBooks unable to back up company file
- Backup failed
Your organization’s data is the most precious asset that maintains the growth continuity of your business. There are so many reasons that remind you to keep backups of your company file. So it is very important to save your company data regularly to prevent its loss.
A backup option is given in your QuickBooks desktop software that enables backing up your data. But a challenging situation occurs that unable the software from backing up your company file. This is one of the serious issues that need to be solved as soon as possible otherwise it leads to much important data loss. We will tell you about some necessary steps to solve this error before this see the reasons behind the error “QuickBooks unable to back up company file”
Cases that brings the error ‘QuickBooks unable to back up company file’
There are so many reasons that bring backup errors in QuickBooks. It might be either due to the hardware problem or software issue. See the below list where we have given some of the reasons behind QuickBooks backup errors. Remember except the list given below, a lot of reasons are still can cause this error to occur while backing up your company file.
- When your company files data or QBW file gets corrupted.
- Due to the damaged Network Data files.
- In case you are using a hard disk or USB key that has been formatted with an old disk format.
- Your company file name more than the 65 characters.
- When your system’s hardware is failed.
- Incorrect backup path in QuickBooks settings.
- When a virus or any malware infection damages your data.
- In case the location of backup is no longer accessible.
- The company backup file exceeds the size limit of 3 GB.
- During the backup process, files have been used by another program
Errors linked with ‘QuickBooks unable to back up company file’
To resolve the backup error, it’s important to know the errors that are connecting with this issue. Here is the list of QuickBooks errors that stop the backup process and show the error message.
- QuickBooks c message error 343 or 422
- QuickBooks error code -6190, -816
- Unrecoverable error message
- QuickBooks error code -6073, -99001
- QuickBooks error 3371: QuickBooks installation is damaged
- H series QuickBooks error H202, H101, H303, and H505
- QuickBooks error 6000 series -6189, -82
- QuickBooks backup failed
Procedures to fix ‘QuickBooks unable to back up company file’ error
The technique to solve the backup errors depends on the cause of the error. If QuickBooks error 6000 series -6189, -82 are the reasons for backup failure then it can be solved by creating a test backup file. Just like that for another error cause, the solution might be different. Let us see some common way o solve the QuickBooks unable to back up company file’ error.
Cancel the backup and rebuild company file
You just have to rebuild your company file and then continue the backup process again. The logic behind this is that the Rebuild command may fix the errors that occur in the file and unable a verified backup process to start. To initiate the process you just have to cancel the backup and rebuild will continue.
Use HFS+ format on drives
Sometimes the cause of this problem is that the location of backup is not accessible anymore. For example, in case you are backing up your data into a USB stick which is not writeable due to some cause or error. The same case might be possible with a hard drive if the drive is not accessible for some reason.
In this case, it can be possible that you are using a disk or USB key that has been formatted with an old disk format. Mostly this issue occurs when the USB key formatted for MS-DOS. However, MS-DOS format is a very old formatting thing for the file QuickBooks stores. Here in this situation, we recommend using HFS+ formatting on USB sticks or drives.
Run the Verify & Rebuild Utility Tool
Any data issue can be resolve by following the below run the Verify and Rebuild Utility Tool method. In case you are transferring your company file or data from your old MacBook to a new one, you might cause some issues. So let us see how to run the Verify and Rebuild Utility Tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub to fix issues.
To run the rebuild utility tool manually:
- Go to the QuickBooks File menu and click on the Utilities.
- Here elect the Rebuild Data option from utilities.
To run the verify utility tool manually:
- In the next step, go to the QuickBooks File menu and click on Utilities again.
- Now select the option of Verify Data.
Create a new company file for backups
This method is valuable in case you are facing Error -6000,-83 while creating a backup company file process.
- First of all, close your QuickBooks Desktop software on your system. Go to the QuickBooks File menu and click on the option Quit QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now open your Windows Start menu. Then type there File Explorer into the search bar and open it.
- Here you have to select My Computer from the navigation bar. This is also known as “This PC.”
- Click on it and open your C: drive.
- After that right-click on your screen, choose New option and then Folder where you have to create a new file folder. Save it by giving a name such as ‘My QB trial folder’.
- Once it has been created, follow again the steps to start a backup company file. At the point, QuickBooks asking you where you have to save the backup, then save it to the folder My QB trial folder on your C: drive.
- At last, follow the steps to restore your company file with the help of a new backup.
Still getting error !!!
Hope we solved the ‘QuickBooks unable to back up company file’ error. However, in case you are still facing the same errors then now you must ask for support. We provide QuickBooks Support Phone Number to guide and support whenever a problem occurs with you. You can get in touch anytime with us on our toll-free number +1-888-909-2511.