If you are facing QuickBooks can not open the company file or QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File error, then today was the last day of your frustration. We understand how much it is frustrating when you even Won’t Open Company File. So many important work are delayed due to this error, right?. But not more, because we are here to let you know the exact reasons for thsi error. So that you avoid those conditions that cause this error to happen. Along with that, we will provide you some best methods to toggle the error you are facing.
Why the error ‘QuickBooks won’t open company file’ occur?
Tons of reasons can ab arse if your QuickBooks can not open the company file. However, we have listed some of the most common reasons that have been facing by so many clients of QuickBooks users.
- The name of your company file is long
- Damaged, missing or corrupted QBWUSER.INI file
- The hard drive is corrupt or damaged
- Damaged program data or files
- QuickBooks desktop is not updated to the latest release version
- Damaged or corrupted Windows operating system
- Incorrect or wrong version of QuickBooks that have been using
- Damaged or corrupted data of QuickBooks
- The location of your QBW file is wrong or having any issue with it
- Errors in access permissions
- A conflicting *QBW.tlg file
- If the same file is using on a shared network
- Apply for the wrong method to access or open that file
Troubleshooting methods for the error ‘QuickBooks can not open company file’
There are so many solutions to solve the error ‘QuickBooks can not open company file’, such as QuickBooks file doctor, temporary disabling the antivirus software installed on the system, opening the Company file from a different folder location or creating a new Windows user and many more. However, some of the best ways to deal with QuickBooks won’t open company file errors are provided below. Check out the reason and apply one of the below methods to toggle thsi error.
Method 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release version
The very first steps you should take, check whether your QuickBooks software is up to date or not. If it does not do check the blog on how to update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
Method 2: Open company file directly from QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the below steps to open your company file directly from QuickBooks desktop so that the error can be debugged:
- Go to the File menu.
- Select the option for Open or Restore Company.
- Choose the type of file you have to open.
- Navigate to the folder where the file is situated.
- Now choose the file.
- Press on the Open button.
Method 3: Copy the QuickBooks Company File to a different location
Saving the company file from network drive to your local drive works fine for sometimes in this error. Here we provided the simplest method to save a copy of your company file from one location to the another:
- You have to first create a new folder in the C:\drive.
- Now open the folder that locates your company file.
- Select the company file while pressing Ctrl and the corresponding.TLG of your company file.
- Now, right-click, and then select the Copy option.
- At last, you just have to open a new folder, and then right-click to select the Paste option. Now your copy ahs have been saved.
Method 4: Rename your QuickBooks company file
Renaming the company file is such an easy method to solve the QuickBooks won’t open company file error. Look at the below steps you need to follow to do so:
- Go to the folder having your company file and open it.
- Now, right-click on it and choose the option for the Rename.
- Rename it by changing the name of the file. Keep remembering that the name should not exceed more than 3 letters and ensure that the original file extension is intact as well.
Method 5: Troubleshoot your QuickBooks Installation
If the above process does not work for you, then the problem might be in the QuickBooks installation. From running the QuickBooks installation tool to performing a clean reinstall, you can do all these to solve this error after the above trials:
- Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostics tool.
- Repair your installation files.
- Perform a clean reinstall of QuickBooks.
Method 6: Check the File Extension
Checking your properties and file extension for the appropriate and limited criteria is a good option to remove the error occurs while opening the file. See how you can do this process:
- Go to the QuickBooks company file folder location and open your file.
- Right-click on the company file you have selected.
- Click on the option of Properties.
- Make sure that the file type must be QuickBooks Company file.
- Then verify that your QuickBooks company file size is a minimum of 7MB.
- Now click on the Advanced option.
- Make sure to mark check on the Compress and Encrypt options.
- Then click on the OK button.
Method 7: Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub to use Quickbooks file doctor
To download and install the QuickBooks tool hub, click on the link ‘How to fix the QuickBooks error 3371’. Also do check the blog for QuickBooks file doctor to get the process to use this tool. We have discussed in so many blogs how to use the QuickBooks tool hub to remove the error if you remember to apply that process.
Now you are well known to the reasons why QuickBooks can not open the company file as well as the solution to troubleshoot thsi problem. In conclusion ‘Prevention is better than cure’ so be aware to avoid the situation that causes this error. However, in case you still face QuickBooks won’t open company file error and you are denied access to the information saved in it. Follow the steps that are mentioned above to resolve the error. And in the end, if it’s not working for you, our QuickBooks support team is there to help you out. You just dial our toll-free number +1-844-384-1327 which is available 24*7 for any help related to QuickBooks software. Do comment below if you feel this article was helpful for you and want more valuable articles like this.